Dark Circles, Their Prevention and Home Remedies
Think those under eye dark circles give you a ‘raccoon look’? Stay calm, you are not alone.Dark circles affect many and for some, these are a near-constant bother. Blame it on everything from lack of sleep to heredity.
But no matter what the cause, you can reduce their appearance and in some cases, even get rid of them. Have a glance about the dark circles, their prevention and home remedies.
How Dark Circles Appear?
Under eye dark circles can result due to a variety of reasons. They can be an inherited trait or bone structure that produces deepset eyes. Skin pigmentation and added sun exposure can also lead to their appearance; just as medical conditions like allergies, asthma or any medication that dilates blood vessels. Under eye circles sometimes indicate circulatory problems, including kidney and liver malfunction. Nutritional problems, particularly a shortage of vitamin K, dehydration, stress, fatigue and aging can also cause dark circles.
Prevention & Reduction
Keep the faith as these dark shadows can be prevented or reduced in appearance. Consult a dermatologist and then go over your options for a solution. Here are some easy tips that one can follow
- Get plenty of beauty sleep.
- Place fresh cucumber slices or cool, damp green tea bags over your eyelids for about 10-15 minutes.
- Apply an eye cream containing ingredients such as caffeine, vitamin K, buck wheat extract, retinol, etc.
- Topical lightening agents like kojic acid or arbutin are good options if darkening is due to hyperpigmentation.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet and drink plenty of water.
- Consume plenty of fruits and vegetables daily.
- Take a vitamin supplement after consultation with your doctor.
- Avoid rubbing your eyes.
- Use a good pair of sunglasses while out in the sun.
- Consult a dermatologist for procedures like laser resurfacing and intense pulsed light (IPL) treatments, chemical peels, injectable dermal filler procedures and fat transfer.
Peek into your kitchen for these home remedies for under eye dark circles.
- Prepare a mixture of equal parts of potato and cucumber juices. Dip a cotton swab in it and place it on the eyelids for 20 minutes. Remove and wash eyes with cold water.
- A mixture of almond oil and honey can be applied on the affected area every night before bedtime.
- Make a paste of fresh mint leaves and a few drops of lime juice in it. Apply on the dark circles for 10-15 minutes every day.
- Gently massage 2-3 drops of cool rose water with a cotton ball on the affected area of the eye for a few minutes.
- Make a paste of 1 tsp. tomato juice, 1/2 tsp. lemon juice, a pinch of turmeric powder and 1 tsp. of flour. Apply around eyes. Leave on for 10 minutes before washing.
Arm yourself with these handy solutions to rid the shadowy gloom and let your true self shine through.