People who seek to admire nature, walk amidst beautiful scenes with verdant trees and spend time in pleasant natural environments often quench this thirst by going on a long adventurous journey known as hiking.
Lengthy vigorous walks in the countrysides, forests or mountain trails are usually referred to as hiking. As pleasant as it may seem, the journey by foot can be rigorous where physical and mental strengths are put to the test. This outdoor activity offers a good chance to appreciate nature in leisure by pursuing pre–chartered paths known as trails. There exist day hikes and overnight hiking. Camping along hiking is a common and wise thing to do to avoid exertion and to recoup strength. There are numerous organizations across the globe which group people and set out on this adventuresome expedition. Here is the beginners guide to hiking.
As the journey is generally long, being equipped with the right kind of accessories is extremely imperative in this venturesome trip in nature. Some necessities while hiking are
- Agreeable and durable waterproof shoes, designed to suit the terrain.
- Hiking pole which helps in walking.
- Survival kit with food and medicine.
- Depending on the weather, suitable clothes must be chosen
- Compass and trail map.
- Tent and sleeping bag which are ideal for overnight hiking.
- Flashlight and fire lighting tools.
- Backpack which is light-weighted yet holds all necessities.l A multi-purpose knife.
- An ice axe in case it is a snowy terrain.
Safety & Precaution
Numerous health benefits await those who go hiking. Being precautious can serve as a boon especially as hiking is generally in unfamiliar territory. Certain things to watch out for are
- Thorough research about the trail route
- On all occasions travel in groups of minimum 3 people
- Water for constant hydration
- Carry mosquito repellent cream and first aid for bug bites.
- Watch out for creepy crawly animals.
- Practice how to build a fire and other survival techniques.
- Always convey to someone about your hiking route and trail
- Carry some mode of communication
- It is good to be prepared even if it is only day hiking, just in case you lose your way and have to spend the night.
- Although hikers can enjoy themselves by seeing uncommon animals, it must be noted that animals are intimidated by human presence and hence avoid directly approaching them, feeding them or even throwing food at them.
- Follow the ‘Leave No Trace’ policy to avoid damage to the environment..
- Survival kit must be prepared to keep in mind that dehydration, frostbite, animal attacks, ankle sprains, sunburns, sunstrokes or even getting lost are possibilities.
Best Places in the World to go Hiking
Some of the most adventurous and thrilling hiking trails in the world can be found at:
- Kungsleden, Sweden
- Grand Canyon Hike, Arizona
- Everest Base Camp Trek, Nepal
- Petra Through the Back Door, Jordan
- Grindelwald, Switzerland
- Yosemite Grand Traverse, California
- Chilkoot Trail, Alaska
- Bay of Fires, Tasmania, Newfoundland, Canada
- Kalalau Trail, Kauai, Hawaii
- Queen Charlotte Track, New Zealand